With the huge comeback probiotics made in the 21st century, it’s safe to say that most people have at least heard of probiotics. They do amazing things for your digestive system, which is a plus for the modern day man in a society where fast food and take out are way too convenient to even try to avoid.
Choosing a probiotic might seem a little advanced at first… But once you’re up to date on the common terms you’ll have no problem sifting through your choices for the perfect probiotic partner. You might notice some repeating terms specific to probiotics throughout your search, so we’ll quickly get you up to speed.
Table of Contents
- What to Look for When Choosing a Probiotic
- What are Probiotics?
- What are the Benefits of Probiotics?
- Culturelle Daily Probiotic
- Physician’s CHOICE Probiotics
- Nutrition Essentials Probiotic
- NewRhythm Probiotics
- Garden of Life Dr. Formulated Once Daily Men’s Probiotics
- Acidophilus Probiotic by Nature’s Bounty
- BioSchwartz Probiotic
- Zenwise Health Digestive Enzymes With Prebiotics + Probiotics
- Align Probiotics Supplement
- Vitamin Bounty Pro 50 Probiotic
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Final Thoughts
What to Look for When Choosing a Probiotic
The most commonly used measurement metric for probiotics is CFU, which stands for colony-forming units. Previously probiotics used milligrams to measure the amount of live and active micro-organisms in each serving, using CFU helps us understand exactly how many helpers we get with each serving.
Prebiotics are non-digestible fibers that your probiotics love to feed on. Some probiotics will come with prebiotics, meaning these helpful travellers packed their own lunch for the journey to your gut.
Now, not all probiotics are created equal. So, in order to find a probiotic you can trust to deliver the results you want, you’ll want to keep a few things in mind.
- Probiotics typically are measured by CFU per serving by expiration. This ensures that the probiotic doesn’t degrade before expiration. Keep in mind that some brands will need refrigeration in order to prevent degradation.
- Many researchers in probiotic studies suggest a probiotic blend rather than single strain probiotics as you’ll get more benefits to different issues of your body. However, single strain probiotics tend to be more focused and do better with specific targeted issues.
- Probiotics should come in an acid resistant capsule. Most capsules tend to dissolve before delivering probiotics to the gut. Find a probiotic that states
- What are the probiotic strains aiming to help with? You want to make sure these strains will help you achieve your health goals.
Now that we have the base information, researching for your perfect probiotic partner will be a much quicker experience. On that note, let’s jump into what exactly probiotics are and what they can do for you.
What are Probiotics?
Probiotics are microorganisms (usually bacteria and some types of yeast) that help balance the complex community of microorganisms that already exist in your gut.
For the most part you are probably familiar with the idea that there are “good” and “bad” bacteria in your gut. Probiotics are introduced to your gut microbiota (the collective microorganisms that live in our gut) as good bacteria. They help you digest the foods you eat and help you fight off bad bacteria.
There are dozens of different types of probiotics to choose from. What is important to note is that there are probiotic species and probiotic strains. The 3 most commonly studied species of probiotics are…
- And Saccharomyces boulardii
That means you’ll be seeing these names quite often. Each probiotic species may also contain several probiotic strains.
The Lactobacillus species tend to help with mineral absorption, breaking down food and fighting off bad bacteria. Since men tend to suffer from stomach and acid related issues more than women, you’ll find that the Lactobacillus species will be your best friend.
Bifidobacterium species belong to the lactic acid bacteria group. The bacteria that are normally found in fermented foods like yogurt and cheese. It’s a top choice when taking antibiotics to help prevent or minimize the death of good bacteria and the take over by bad bacteria when taking antibiotics. This species is a main choice for digestive tract infections, constipation, IBS and even infections of airways (like the common cold).
Saccharomyces boulardii, a yeast strain similar to baker’s yeast but is used as “medicine” for treating diarrhea. It’s a good bacteria whose main function is to fight off disease-causing organisms in the gut.
What are the Benefits of Probiotics?
Along with the many types of probiotics out there, the number of benefits claimed by probiotics are much more. Generally probiotics aid with issues relating to the gut, e.g. IBS, bloating, gas, diarrhea and other common digestive issues.
Because probiotics work with your gut flora (that complex community of microorganisms we talked about earlier), you’ll notice that probiotics have the ability to help with other issues indirectly related to your diet.
For example, an unbalanced diet may create an unhealthy habitat in your gut… Effectively killing off good bacteria and allowing bad bacteria to thrive. This in turn can lead to inflammation, low immune function, stomach or intestinal tract issues, skin health problems (like acne or eczema), and depression and anxiety.
If you’re experiencing these issues already, it might be time to add some probiotics to your daily supplement schedule as well as a regular intake of fruits and veggies to help feed your good bacteria (they thrive off natural fibers).
1. Culturelle Daily Probiotic
You’ll notice Culturelle Daily Probiotic is at the top of many probiotic lists… And for good reason. It is one of the most trusted probiotic brands and while they are a single species probiotic, they have full transparency with doctors and have most of their results readily available for doctors to view. With 10 billion CFU per serving, many Doctors recommend the use of Culturelle Daily Probiotic, especially when giving out prescription antibiotics. In this case, the heavy focus on one strain produces stronger results for this strain’s speciality.
While their probiotics are a great option for men of all ages, they offer probiotics specifically for women, children and babies keeping your family healthy with you.
So, why is Culturelle Daily Probiotics the most trusted brand? The key to their success lies with their use of one of the most clinically studied strains of probiotics, Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG (LGG for short). With over 200 clinical studies on humans (most probiotic studies are done on rodents), it is one of the most practically used probiotics in over 40 countries.
- PROVEN EFFECTIVE – Culturelle Digestive Health Daily Probiotic Capsules are powered Lactobacillus rhamnosus (LGG). LGG is the proven effective and clinically studied probiotic strain. LGG helps your digestive system work better.
- DAILY DIGESTIVE HEALTH * – LGG is naturally sourced and scientifically proven to work in harmony with your body to keep your digestive system in balance.* Helps with occasional digestive upset; including diarrhea, gas and bloating.* For daily use, take 1 vegetarian capsule per day
- NO REFRIGERATION REQUIRED –Every package of Culturelle meets the highest standards for purity and potency when consumed - not just when we make it. To preserve the billions of CFU’s (colony-forming units) in your Culturelle, store it in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight
2. Physician’s CHOICE Probiotics
Another well studied probiotics brand is Physician’s Choice Probiotics. They are a leading probiotic company whose main appeal is a precise composition of clean non-GMO ingredients minus the unnecessary filling (like soy, gluten, etc). Using only the highest-quality raw ingredients available, they only source from trusted suppliers and manufacture all of their products in the U.S.A. For full transparency they are third party tested for potency and purity in all of their products.
So what are the stats? Physician’s Choice Probiotics have 10 strains of probiotics (6 Lactobacillus, 4 Bifidobacterium) that dish out a whopping 60 billion CFUs per serving. And to help keep your gut thriving with good bacteria, their probiotic blend comes with a Prebiotic Fiber blend (the stuff that your probiotics love to eat).
- 60 Billion Cfus Max Strength: Our probiotic actually contains 60 Billion Cfus per serving. Other brands claim it, but beware of deception. Some products say "equivalent to" or do not state an amount of Cfus. We saw a need for high-quality supplements that actually work and stand by their claims. Our most popular probiotic brings you exactly what's on the label with 10 probiotic strains, 60 Billion Cfu, and an organic prebiotic blend.
- Probiotics and Organic Prebiotics: Our Doctor-Approved probiotics are made with prebiotics and probiotics based on clinical research. A complete probiotic supplement for ultimate digestive health. Made with 10 probiotic strains & Non-Gmo ingredients. Shelf-stable vegan probiotics with No: unnecessary binders, soy, gluten, milk, egg, wheat, peanuts, shellfish or preservatives.
- Naturally Inspired Probiotic Supplement: Contains 10 strains plus a Patented Shelf-Stable bottle which ensures product stability. Our probiotic daily blend plus organic prebiotic fiber blend naturally helps to support the stomach's digestive environment and supports the natural stomach balance. Great for gut health, and occasional gas relief, bloating relief, constipation, digestive health and intestinal health.
3. Nutrition Essentials Probiotic
Nutrition Essentials Probiotics is another single strain probiotic and offers a crazy deal with their probiotics delivering 900 billion CFUs guaranteed potent until expiration! They have a money back guaranteed through Amazon, so there’s no risk involved. Gluten and dairy free, Nutrition Essentials Probiotics are well known for helping with stomach issues like IBS or GI tract health. With over 17,000 5 star reviews on amazon with a low price of $17.99 per 60 capsule bottle, Nutrition Essentials are a top choice for men looking to get started with Probiotics.
- No Risk Guarantee - Beware of probiotics that claim or use deceptive advertising. Buy with confidence with a Money Back Guarantee - no questions asked! If for some reason our product doesn't work for you, you'll get your money back - Simple as that!
- 900 Billion CFU Maximum Strength - Our proprietary strain allows your body to digest the enzymes more effectively than other brands, bypassing stomach acids for the best absorption into the intestines.
- Highest Quality - Made in the USA in a state of the start, strict and safe GMP Certified Lab in Florida for Maximum quality and safety! Buy with confidence.
4. NewRhythm Probiotics
NewRhythm Probiotics delivers 50 Billion CFU from 20 strains in their Probiotic blend. Non-GMO and free from most common allergens, NewRhythm’s probiotic blend is clinically studied and formulated by a doctor. Their capsules are formulated to be stomach acid resistant and do not need to be refrigerated. You can try out this product risk free with their 30 day money back guarantee. If you want general support and maintenance of your gut, NewRhythm Probiotics offers a risk free solution to healthy digestion and a balanced gut.
- ★Made in New York, USA★ NewRhythm 50 Billion Probiotics is made in a Facility Based in New York, USA. Our Facility is GMP Certificated , which Represent the Highest Level of Technology, Quality Purity and Consistence.
- ★50 Billions 20 Strains Targeted Release Formula★ NewRhythm 50Billion Probiotics Capsules is Scientifically Backed and Clinically Proven, Formulated by Doctor with 50 Billion Living Organisms Per Serving, Featuring Targeted Release Technology to Help Probiotics Survive Stomach Acids and Reach Your Intestinal Track. Organic Prebiotics Fiber is also Included In the Formula.
- ★Potent and Pure for Your Digestive Health and Immune Health*★ Our All Natural Probiotics Provides Support For the Establishment and Maintenance of Favorable Intestinal Flora. Gives You Powerful Support for Healthy Digestion and Balanced Intestinal Ecology. Our Products are Shelf Stable that Does NOT Require Refrigeration
5. Garden of Life Dr. Formulated Once Daily Men’s Probiotics
Specifically formulated with men in mind, Dr. Perlmutter, an expert in the human microbiome, created this unique formula with a high potency count of 50 billion CFU from a diverse 15 strains. The Once Daily Men’s Probiotics include a diverse probiotic blend of Lactobacilli and Bifidobacteria, effectively targeting men’s specific health needs to support men with daily gastrointestinal health, focusing on colon health, immune digestive system and even reducing occasional gas. The capsules are resistant to stomach acid and bile, hypoallergenic, vegan and contain no carriers, fillers, artificial colours or flavours. Garden of Life isn’t the #1 brand in the natural products industry for nothing!
- Digestion support: This once daily probiotic supplement contains Lactobaccilus acidophilus and Bifidobacteria for digestive health and constipation relief
- Probiotics for men: Specially formulated probiotic for men's specific health needs and colon support
- Immune support: This dietary supplement has 50 billion CFU and 15 probiotic strains for immune system health
6. Acidophilus Probiotic by Nature’s Bounty
Audited by the United States Pharmacopeia and STR (Specialized Technology Resources), Nature’s Bounty prides themself on their high quality control systems. Although this probiotic avoids the using the CFU measurement and delivers 100 million active Lactobacillus Acidophilus per serving, the probiotic is a cheap starter solution for reducing symptoms of IBS and a nice boost to your gut microbiota. They are gluten and dairy free, with no artificial colors, flavors, or sweeteners. At $10 for 200 tablets, this long standing wellness brand has 50 years experience in quality control of their vitamins and nutritional supplements. Keep in mind this product needs to be refrigerated to maintain it’s probiotic count.
- 100 million active cultures at time of manufacture
- Helps support overall well being
- These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration
7. BioSchwartz Probiotic
BioSchwartz Probiotics is another blend developed by doctors and offers a high 40 billion CFU with a patented stomach acid protection and delivery system. BioSchwartz boasts highly about their MAKTrek technology, which ensures your probiotics are delivered straight to your small intestine surviving stomach acids and bile. It’s non-GMO, dairy and gluten free and does not contain tree nuts, peanuts, sugar, preservatives or artificial colorants. With a guaranteed potency until expiration, it’s a perfect and extensively tested brand to help you with digestive health and immune system support.
- Patented delay-release probiotics formula - this 40 billion cfu (colony-forming units) probiotic supplement is formulated with an exclusive stomach acid protection and delivery system, which allows probiotic strains to survive stomach acid and reach deep into the small intestine to support a healthy gut, which many other probiotics can’t do; this advanced strength probiotics formula can even reach your large intestine for maximum absorption and digestive health benefits
- Professional grade & developed by doctors - These industry leading capsules are formulated with a patented combination of probiotic strains and CFU’s containing lactobacillus acidophilus plantarum paracasei and bifidobacterium lactis among others
- Digestive health & immune system support - Replenish the beneficial bacteria to improve digestive and immune health, support more vitamin production and promote daily relief
8. Zenwise Health Digestive Enzymes With Prebiotics + Probiotics
Zenwise Health’s Digestive Enzymes with Prebiotics + Probiotics is a perfect combination of all the helpful hands of a healthy digestive system and happy gut microbiota. These digestive enzymes are at the front lines to help to break down food immediately. While the digestive enzymes are breaking down the hard-to-digest foods, 10 strains of probiotics swoop in to maintain a healthy balance in your gut while the prebiotics pop in to feed your hardworking probiotics. If you’re having digestive problems this product is the heavy hitter you need for sooner than later comfort. It’s important to note that this product should be taken with food, right before or right after!
- Achieve digestive comfort today – Zenwise Health Digestive Enzymes are powerful supplements with a natural Enzyme, Prebiotic, and Probiotic blend to promote healthy digestion for men and women.
- Immune-Boosting Probiotic – The gut is home to 50% of the body’s immune response, so this supplement features proprietary DE111, a probiotic strain clinically shown to enhance immune system response.
- Hard-to-Digest Foods Have Met Their Match – This formula features an Advanced Multi Enzyme System to help you digest fried, spicy, raw, and processed foods, plus dairy and acidic fruits and veggies.
9. Align Probiotics Supplement
Align Probiotics is a high quality product that has been the #1 most recommended brand by Gastroenterologists and Doctors from one of the largest syndicated surveys for physicians in the US for 12 years in a row. Similar to Culturelle, Align Probiotics focuses heavily on developing and studying a single strain (Bifidobacterium 35624™) for efficacy. Although it’s on the low end of CFU at 1 billion per serving, they still maintain their spot as an effective premium probiotics brand. Gluten and soy free, Align probiotics provides digestive support and helps to maintain your digestive system’s natural balance.
- 24/7 DIGESTIVE SUPPORT. Align Probiotic Supplement, for men and women, naturally helps with occasional abdominal discomfort, gas, and bloating. One capsule a day, taken with or without food, helps to maintain your digestive system’s natural balance
- #1 GASTROENTEROLOGIST RECOMMENDED PROBIOTIC for 12 years in a row. Align Probiotic is recommended more often by Gastroenterologists and Doctors than any other probiotics brand
- EFFECTIVE STRAIN discovered by Gastroenterologists and backed by over 20 years of research. Align contains the probiotic strain, Bifidobacterium 35624, which works naturally to supplement your digestive system with good bacteria
10. Vitamin Bounty Pro 50 Probiotic
Vitamin Bounty Pro 50 Probiotic offers a hand-picked selection of nature’s most powerful and effective probiotic strains. With 13 strains (8 Lactobacillus, 4 Bifidobacterium and 1 Saccharomyces) providing 50 billion CFU per serving, Vitamin Bounty Pro 50 delivers potency and purity of their probiotics with patented capsule technology, effectively resisting strong stomach acids. Take control of diarrhea, gas, bloating and other gut issues with Pro-50. To top it off, Pro-50 comes with a special greens food for your probiotics. This prebiotic blend contains barley grass, oat grass, wheat grass, and alfalfa. All of which are gluten free as they come from grass, not grains.
- 50 Billion Organisms - Vitamin Bounty's Pro 50 offers a potent 50Billion organisms per serving, making it one of the most effective probiotics with prebiotics on the market.
- 13 Probiotic Strains - Unlike other probiotics that only contain 1 or 2 probiotic strains, Pro-50 has 13 probiotic strains, ensuring you will get the support you need for your overall digestive health.
- Delayed release capsule - Pro-50 probiotics use a patented capsule, that protects the live organisms in the capsule from stomach acid, delivering more cultures and ensuring maximum efficacy.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What age should I start taking probiotics?
Although probiotics can generally be taken at any age, some studies have revealed that age 60 and over have one thousandth (1/1000th) the amount of good bacteria than younger adults. The Bifidobacterium strains B. lactis and B. infantis has shown benefits in digestion and inflammation in older adults.
Can you get probiotics from food?
The most common form of probiotics actually comes in food form. If you have ever eaten yogurt, sauerkraut or pickles before… Congratulations! You’ve had probiotics in food form. Probiotics are usually found in fermented foods and soft cheeses like Gouda.
Who should not take probiotics?
While probiotics are generally safe for consumption, you can’t always be sure of it’s contents. If you have allergy sensitivities it’s best to do your research and choose a probiotic that has a hypoallergenic blend to prevent any adverse reactions. People with severe illnesses or compromised immune systems should also avoid taking probiotics altogether.
We’re all familiar with the term, “You are what you eat.” I’m sure we can all agree we don’t always eat the healthiest choices on the market. With new health related information coming out every year and trends blowing up on the newest diet trends we have a hard time keeping up with what’s healthy and what isn’t (if we even want to at this point). In the meantime, probiotics offer a perfect solution to aid us in eating what we’re already used to.
Probiotics can help us maintain a healthy balance of gut microbiota. And if you’re having stomach issues, probiotics are an easy addition to your daily routine for fighting off bad bacteria takeover, helping yourself to reduce the symptoms of gastrointestinal issues. We all seek comfort, so adding a small tablet or capsule to our daily routine to make our lives more comfortable throughout the day seems like a no brainer.
There’s no denying that probiotics have provided thousands of people with relief in gut activity. However, there’s no harm in adding a healthy variety of fruits and vegetables to your diet, which only further boost your probiotic supplement use and create an overall stable environment for your healthy bacteria to thrive in. Remember, probiotics are great health partners in today’s convenient fast food society. But creating an easier to handle gut ecosystem will only help you get faster results in the long run.