Brushing your teeth isn’t enough to keep your mouth sparkling and minty fresh. Maintaining a positive oral hygiene regimen is possible with a mouthwash to accompany your toothbrush, toothpaste, and floss.
There are areas of your mouth that a toothbrush just can’t reach. With the fluidity of mouthwash, rinsing will get through areas that you didn’t get to the first time around. If you choose the right mouthwash, it can even help whiten your teeth. And who doesn’t like sparkling white choppers?
You may be aware of whitening strips, but sometimes choosing a mouthwash can be easier. We’ve done the research and pulled out the best whitening mouthwashes to keep your mouth shining bright and healthy.
Table of Contents
- Things to Consider When Choosing a Whitening Mouthwash
- Listerine Healthy White Vibrant Multi-Action Fluoride Mouth Rinse
- Solimo Whitening Anticavity Mouthwash
- Crest 3D White Diamond Strong Mouthwash
- Lumineux Oral Essentials Teeth Whitening Mouthwash
- Crest ProHealth Advanced Mouthwash With Extra Whitening Energizing Mint Flavor
- Colgate Optic White Whitening Mouthwash
- POPWHITE Purple Power Duo Natural Teeth Whitening with 4 oz Primer Toothpaste and 16.9 oz Whitening Toner Oral Rinse
- ACT Anticavity + Whitening Rinse
- The Natural Dentist Whitening Antigingivitis Rinse
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Final Thoughts
Things to Consider When Choosing a Whitening Mouthwash
When it comes to choosing the right whitening mouthwash, the top three things to consider are the ingredients, how effective it will be, and will you cause damage to your teeth? Now, let’s break it down:
Typically found in the 1%-2% range, hydrogen peroxide is the most effective ingredient to whiten your teeth. However, those with sensitive teeth may shy away from products containing hydrogen peroxide because it can increase tooth sensitivity or cause gum irritation.
Natural Ingredients (Lemon Oil, Bamboo Silica, Charcoal)
Natural ingredients are a good alternative for those with more sensitive teeth/mouth or like to use greener products. Different mouthwashes turn to a variety of ingredients including lemon oil, bamboo silica, and charcoal to gently dissolve surface stains on the teeth, all with varying effectiveness. With all natural products, it will take longer to see results and the results may be less dramatic.
Listerine Healthy White Vibrant Multi-Action Fluoride Mouth Rinse
If you’re looking for a mouthwash that does absolutely everything, look no further. Listerine Healthy White™ Vibrant Multi-Action Fluoride Mouthwash cleans your mouth, helps prevent tooth decay, and kills bad breath germs, while safely whitening your teeth in as little as 5 days! Key ingredients include: fluoride & hydrogen peroxide.
- 16-fluid ounce bottle of Listerine Healthy White Vibrant Multi-Action Fluoride Mouthwash to whiten teeth, prevent cavities and fight bad breath
- Teeth whitening mouthwash starts to work on contact to remove teeth stains for whiter teeth and a brighter smile in as little as 5 days*
- Mouth rinse with fluoride helps prevent cavities while the dynamic foaming action works to clean and whiten in hard-to-reach places
Solimo Whitening Anticavity Mouthwash
Amazon products continue to take the world by storm with affordable pricing and solid products. The next good they hope to tackle? Mouthwash. Solimo is an Amazon brand Whitening Anticavity Mouthwash that gently removes surface stains from your teeth with 1% hydrogen peroxide. So, people with sensitive teeth – this one’s looking at you!
- Four 16-fluid ounce bottles of whitening anticavity mouthwash
- Fresh mint flavor
- Removes surface stains from teeth
Crest 3D White Diamond Strong Mouthwash
Hate that burning sensation when you use mouthwash? Me too. Now there’s an option for us, Crest 3D White Diamond Strong Mouthwash. Made without alcohol, this mouthwash strengthens and whitens in no time.
- Strengthens while you whiten
- From the makers of White strips
- Strengthens tooth enamel
Lumineux Oral Essentials Teeth Whitening Mouthwash
Are you looking for something a bit more natural and you don’t mind spending a few extra bucks? Lumineux Oral Essentials Whitening Mouthwash is certified non toxic, using a formula that combines essential oils (spearmint, peppermint, wintergreen, basil, coconut and sage) with organic aloe vera juice and salt all the way from the Dead Sea to create a one of kind mouthwash experience. Great for those with sensitive teeth and gums, who are still wanting that bright white smile!
- WHITER TEETH IN 7 DAYS or LESS: This artisanal formula combines French essential oils with organic aloe vera juice and salt from the Dead Sea to create one of the most forward thinking oral care blends available anywhere. Our pure and unrefined ingredients are hand picked by some of the top dentists in the country as a daily use product, to create a synergistic environment in the mouth. To maintain the highest level of quality Lumineux mouth rinse is produced in small batches here in Californi
- WHITENS WITHOUT SENSITIVITY: Oral Essentials offers a gentler and more natural alternative to teeth whitening by utilizing Coconut Oil, Lemon Peel Oil, and Sage Oil to remove stains from teeth instead of Bleach and/or Harsh Chemicals. The key ingredient, Dead Sea salt contains minerals such as calcium, phosphate, and manganese that bind together on the surfaces of teeth to reduce sensations of sensitivity to hot or cold liquids.
- DENTIST FORMULATED MOUTHWASH: Beverly Hills, California is the epicenter for innovation in anti-aging, beauty, and medical fields. What better place to formulate the world’s most contemporary oral care line? Each ingredient was selected for its benefits and purity by periodontal and cosmetic professionals who have treated thousands of patients from all over the globe. Lumineux has combined ancient homeopathic ingredients with evidence based elements like xylitol to merge the old world with new
Crest ProHealth Advanced Mouthwash With Extra Whitening Energizing Mint Flavor
Crest ProHealth Advanced Mouthwash with Extra Whitening is a cult favorite for good reason. This mouthwash promises a whiter smile in just 7 days while also preventing cavities, eliminating bad breath bacteria, and strengthening your enamel with fluoride. Oh, and it doesn’t burn either!
- Mouthwash kills bad breath germs
- Safely whitens teeth with brushing by removing surface stains
- Helps prevent cavities
Colgate Optic White Whitening Mouthwash
With a 2% enamel safe hydrogen peroxide whitening formula, Colgate Optic White Mouthwash is here to deliver quick results. Not only does this rinse actively whiten teeth, it uses Colgate’s special “whiteseal” technology that helps to prevent future stains. The only downside to this mouthwash is that it doesn’t contain fluoride, so if you’re looking for some enamel care, this may not be the one for you.
- High Impact White teeth whitening mouthwash
- Effective and enamel safe 2% hydrogen peroxide whitening formula, an ingredient recommended by dentists for dental whitening
- Actively whitens teeth and Whiteseal technology helps to prevent future stains
POPWHITE Purple Power Duo Natural Teeth Whitening with 4 oz Primer Toothpaste and 16.9 oz Whitening Toner Oral Rinse
POPWHITE Purple Power Duo is a color correcting pair that works on all kinds of teeth – from natural to crowns or veneers and even the most sensitive. This is ideal for someone with dental work because typical mouthwashes do not work on artificial teeth. It’s also a great alternative for anyone with underlying oral conditions because it does not contain any hydrogen peroxide.
- Whitens naturally with regular use. Color correcting technology makes teeth whiter, brighter and shinier.
- Works on all teeth, Natural, Crowns, Veneers, and sensitive teeth.
- Reduces plaque and keeps enamel on teeth intact.
ACT Anticavity + Whitening Rinse
If your teeth need more than just whitening, ACT Anticavity + Whitening Rinse covers all the bases. With its signature foaming action, it helps prevent overall tooth decay, removes stains from your teeth, prevents cavities, and helps build your enamel. After a few months of using this, your mouth will feel and look better than ever!
- PREVENT TOOTH DECAY: ACT Whitening Mouthwash helps strengthen tooth enamel to prevent tooth decay and support oral health. Combining mouthwash with regular oral hygiene, including tooth brushing and flossing, may help prevent cavities.
- ACT FRESHENS BREATH: No one enjoys bad or sour breath, and fresh breath is one of the benefits of good oral health care. ACT's selection of flavors leave your mouth feeling cool, clean, and fresh, and ACT lozenges and mouthwashes help freshen your breath
- A WELL ROUNDED MEDICINE CABINET: When you or a family member is in pain, sick, hurt, or just generally feeling under the weather, you don't want to run to the pharmacy. A well stocked home medicine cabinet helps ensure relief is at hand when you need it.
The Natural Dentist Whitening Antigingivitis Rinse
The packaging says it all for this one. The Natural Dentist Whitening Antigingivitis Rinse is just that – all natural. Primarily made with peppermint and sage oil, this mouthwash promotes oral health by eliminating bacteria that can cause gingivitis and plaque. But how does it whiten your teeth? Non abrasive bamboo silica that helps remove surface stains. The trick to this mouthwash is to use it before brushing your teeth, so the silica can do its thing!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Do whitening mouthwashes work?
Absolutely. But please consult your dentist before beginning any whitening program, he/she will be able to guide you towards a product that best fits your needs.
How do teeth become stained?
Remember that coffee you had this morning? Or that glass of red wine you drank last night? Or even that healthy beet salad you had two weeks ago? That’s what’s causing your stains. Eating pigmented foods and drinking dyed drinks are likely to cause some teeth discoloration in the long term. While using a whitening mouthwash is a great option for stains you already have, make sure to brush your teeth after meals to prevent new or worsening discoloration.
How long does it take for your teeth to whiten?
It really varies. Certain factors like coffee consumption, level of discoloration, teeth sensitivity, amongst other things all play a role. We recommend consulting your dentist before beginning any whitening regime.
How often should I use a whitening mouthwash?
Use as directed on the bottle. And again, we recommend consulting your dentist before beginning any whitening regime.
Should I use a whitening mouthwash or whitening strips?
Please consult your dentist to decide on the best option for your teeth!
Is using whitening mouthwash safe?
When used as directed, yes! And while we don’t want to sound like a broken record, we encourage you to see your dentist before using any whitening treatment!
Whitening mouthwash is a super easy way to get a brighter, whiter smile, while also positively impacting your oral health! Choose wisely, use as directed, and consult your dentist for the best results and you’ll be showing off your new pearly whites in no time! Just remember, for most of these products, results aren’t seen overnight, so be sure to stick with it!