Mouthwash is typically an essential part of an adult’s oral hygiene routine, but what about kids? It is generally advised that kids over the age of six can use a mouthwash with adult supervision. This may have you wondering, what is the best mouthwash for kids? We aim to cover everything you need to know about choosing a mouthwash for your child, as well as common FAQs and recommendations for use.
Table of Contents
Considerations When Choosing a Mouthwash For Kids
Kids tend to be a bit pickier than adults when it comes to mouthwash flavors and colors. Parents are concerned with safety and effectiveness. Here are a few factors to keep in mind when choosing a mouthwash for kids.
If the mouthwash has a disturbing taste, your child likely won’t want to use it. Most mouthwashes made for kids have fun flavors, like bubblegum or tutti frutti. You may want to steer clear of mint or cinnamon flavors, as they can cause a warming or tingling sensation.
Some mouthwash can make teeth more prone to staining. This is attributed to their plaque-fighting ingredients, which can lead to surface-level yellowing or browning. In most cases, mouthwashes that cause teeth staining are not recommended for long-term use. Too much fluoride from mouthwash can also cause white streaks on developing teeth that become visible when they erupt. It is a good idea to check that your mouthwash choice doesn’t come with this unwanted side effect.
A Necessary Choice
Before you start using a mouthwash with your child, make sure that it is necessary. Not all children require mouthwash, and dentists don’t always recommend it as a part of a child’s oral hygiene routine. While adding mouthwash can provide extra protection, promote fresh breath, and clean spots that are often missed by a toothbrush, there are some disadvantages. Excess fluoride can produce white streaking on children’s teeth and swallowing mouthwash can make a child ill. Weigh the pros and cons before you pick a mouthwash for your child.
Your Child’s Age
Did you know the American Dental Association doesn’t recommend mouthwash until your child is over the age of six? This is because younger children often don’t understand that they cannot swallow mouthwash. Ingesting too much mouthwash can lead to intoxication, vomiting, and nausea. Too much fluoride from mouthwash can also cause cosmetic appearance issues with developing teeth. If your child is under six, it is best just to avoid mouthwash. If your child is older than six, consider the above factors when deciding whether to include mouthwash in their routine.
The Top 10 Mouthwash Choices for Kids
Listerine Smart Rinse Kids Alcohol-Free Anticavity Sodium Fluoride Mouthwash
First on our list is Listerine Smart Rinse Kids Alcohol-Free Anticavity Sodium Fluoride Mouthwash. This mouthwash is approved by the American Dental Association and is alcohol-free, so you know it is a safe choice for your child. It’s fun berry color and pink lemonade flavor will make it an exciting part of your kid’s oral routine. Its two active ingredients, sodium fluoride and acidulated phosphate help to strengthen teeth, rinse away debris, and prevent cavities.
- 500-Milliliters of Listerine Smart rinse alcohol-free Mouthwash for kids in a pink Lemonade flavor to strengthen and protect teeth against cavities when used as part of a regular oral care routine
- Formulated with sodium fluoride and acidulated phosphate, this alcohol-free kids oral Rinse cleans the mouth Beyond brushing alone and helps prevent dental caries in hard to reach places that brushing may miss
- Anticavity Mouthwash cleans by removing and tinting food particles and debris so your child can easily see the Ed in the sink of a cleaner mouth
ACT Kids Anticavity Fluoride Rinse Wild Watermelon
ACT Kids Anticavity Fluoride Rinse Wild Watermelon is a great choice for parents whose kids like to do everything on their own. It’s easy-squeeze dosing cup helps to ensure your little one gets just the right amount while being simple for little hands to operate. It is vibrant green and flavored like wild watermelon, a flavor kids are sure to enjoy! It is alcohol-free and dentist-approved, making it a safe choice. Adding this to your child’s teeth brushing routine will help to swish away any oral debris and protect their teeth from cavities.
- Contains one (1) 16.9 fluid ounce bottle of ACT Kids Alcohol-free Anticavity Fluoride Rinse With Accurate Dosing Cup Wild Watermelon Flavor
- ZERO ALCOHOL: This ACT Oral Care Product is an alcohol-free mouthwash
- STRENGTHENS TEETH: This ACT Kids Mouthwash helps strengthen teeth
Hello Oral Care Kids Fluoride Free and SLS Free Rinse
If you are searching for an organic option, consider Hello Oral Care Kids Fluoride Free and SLS Free Rinse. A list of simple and natural ingredients is kid-friendly and parent-approved. Soothing aloe vera, natural sweeteners, and organic watermelon flavor create a tasty and healthy mouthwash experience. This mouthwash helps to rinse away particles, naturally cleaning teeth and freshening breath. You don’t have to worry about artificial sweeteners, dyes, flavors, alcohol, or sulfates; it doesn’t get any simpler!
- Contains 3- 500ml bottles of hello naturally friendly kids fluoride free rinse.
- hello naturally friendly kids fluoride free rinse is thoughtfully formulated with organic watermelon flavor, soothing aloe vera and natural sweeteners.
- It rinses away particles brushing may miss, cleans and freshen, and tastes so delicious they'll rush to rinse.
TheraBreath Kids Anti-cavity Oral Rinse
TheraBreath Kids Anti-cavity Oral Rinse is another great organic choice. It is made with organic grape flavor, a natural sweetener called Xylitol, and fluoride. As your child rinses away any particles they missed while brushing, the mouthwash helps to strengthen and protect teeth. This dentist-formulated brand is proudly made in the USA and has been for close to thirty years, making it an established and quality choice.
- Kids Anti-Cavity mouthwash: This kid-friendly dentist-formulated mouthwash contains fluoride and Xylitol (a natural sweetener), to help support strong, healthy teeth and reduce the formation of cavities
- Organic grape flavor: Made with organic grapes and without sugars, artificial flavors, or dyes, this safe and effective mouthwash helps you establish good oral health habits for your kids
- Premium Oral Care: Our solution-oriented line of toothpastes, mouthwashes, breath sprays, tonsil stone kits, and more can help your whole family get the oral hygiene support you need
Colgate Kids Mouthwash with Anticavity Fluoride
A well-known brand, Colgate Kids Mouthwash with Anticavity Fluoride is covered with fun characters and filled with exciting flavors that your kids will enjoy. While they’re having fun swishing with a mouthwash that tastes like bubble fruit, their enamel is being fortified and their breath is being freshened. It is alcohol-free, making it a safe choice for kids that also provides them with the benefits of mouthwash without the burn.
- Kids fluoride mouthwash helps strengthen tooth enamel for strong, healthy teeth
- Protects teeth from cavities between brushing and fights bad breath germs
- Swishes away particles that brushing may miss
Crest Kid’s Anti Cavity Alcohol-Free Fluoride Rinse
Crest Kid’s Anti Cavity Alcohol-Free Fluoride Rinse helps to get in between teeth and way in the back of the mouth where children often miss brushing. It is alcohol-free but contains cavity-fighting fluoride which helps to protect and restore teeth. The bubblegum rush flavor is one that most kids won’t object to, making achieving clean teeth a delicious experience.
- Size:Pack of 4 | Style Name:Bubblegum Rush Same great bubblegum flavor, now available in a mouthwash. Crest Kid's Bubblegum mouthwash reaches where brushing may miss. This alcohol free, anticavity fluoride rinse provides effective cavity protection you expect from Crest. Designed for kids ages 6 and up.
- Alcohol Free mouthwash
- Anticavity fluoride mouthwash
Tom’s of Maine Children’s Anticavity Fluoride Rinse Mouthwash
Looking for a rinse-free from artificial dyes and sweeteners? You may like Tom’s of Maine Children’s Anticavity Fluoride Rinse Mouthwash. It doesn’t contain alcohol or additives in the forms of dyes or sugars; just fluoride protection! It’s silly strawberry flavor comes from real fruit juice. This natural and alcohol-free mouthwash rinses away damaging debris, leaving only clean teeth and fresh breath.
- WHAT YOU'LL GET: Six 16-ounce bottles of Tom's of Maine Children's Anticavity Mouth Rinse in Silly Strawberry Flavor
- CAVITY PROTECTION: Fluoride mouthwash for kids helps clean hard-to-reach areas and prevent cavities
- FRESHENS BREATH: Fight bad breath with the great-tasting strawberry flavor kids love
Amazon Brand – Solimo Kids Anticavity Fluoride Rinse
Though less-well-known, Solimo Kids Anticavity Fluoride Rinse, is a top mouthwash choice that is comparable to many popular rinses. It is alcohol-free, which is wonderful because kids don’t like the burn of alcohol mouthwash nor is it safe for them. It contains fluoride both for cavity protection and enamel strengthening. Available in a tempting bubble gum flavor kids can’t resist, it makes a good alternative choice to the top name brands.
- Four 500mL bottles of kids anticavity fluoride mouth rinse
- Helps prevent cavities and strengthen teeth
- Alcohol Free
Spry Kids Mouthwash
If you are just introducing mouthwash, you may want to try Spry Kids Mouthwash. It is alcohol-free, non-GMO, and produced with Xylitol instead of corn syrup. Advertised as safe to swallow, it doesn’t contain fluoride. Instead, it has added calcium. In a wonderful bubble gum flavor, this natural mouthwash moisturizes, cleans, and strengthens without all the worrisome additives.
- ALCOHOL FREE & SAFE TO SWALLOW: Spry Kid's Alcohol Free Mouthwash rinses the hard-to-reach places, ensuring your child has a fresh breath and stays clean without the uncomfortable burn. We formulated our mouth wash with children in mind, so its is safe to swallow and tastes great. Spry Kids Bubble Gum Mouth Wash is the ultimate bad breath treatment for your kid.
- MADE WITH XYLITOL: Instead of corn syrup, sugar or artificial sweetener, our mouthwash for bad breath is made with 100% xylitol. Xylitol sweetener is derived from the fibrous parts of plants, similar in taste to regular organic sugar. We use no filler, flow agents or other sugar additives. Xylitol is a natural sugar that tastes just like real sugar and a great choice when looking for sweetners and sugar alternatives.
- ENAMEL SUPPORT ORAL CARE: Added calcium supports and strengthen tooth enamel while xylitol and special herbal blends improve overall oral health. Our mouth rinse is paraben free and neutral pH balanced. It helps eliminate the build up of bacterial biofilm.
Colgate 2-in-1 Kids Toothpaste & Anticavity Mouthwash
It can’t get any easier than Colgate 2-in-1 Kids Toothpaste & Anticavity Mouthwash. It first acts as toothpaste in a tasty watermelon burst flavor. Then, it doubles as a mouthwash by freshening breath. It is sugar-free, gluten-free, and alcohol-free. This exciting green toothpaste contains fluoride for both cavity and enamel protection. It is a simple one-step solution for kids who aren’t ecstatic about oral hygiene.
- Kids toothpaste with fluoride to freshen breath and protect teeth
- Clinically proven cavity and enamel protection
- Fun, kids watermelon toothpaste flavor in a green color to encourage regular brushing
Things to Avoid in Kids Mouthwash
You will notice that our picks avoid excess fluoride and alcohol, and for good reason.
Excess fluoride can lead to white streaking on the developing teeth of children. Though only cosmetic, it can change the appearance of your child’s teeth. Additionally, excess fluoride can make children ill. Too much fluoride can lead to stomach pain and vomiting.
Alcohol isn’t used in kids’ mouthwash because there is a higher risk of children swallowing the mouth rinse. This can lead to unpleasant side effects that may harm their health, including intoxication. Also, alcohol mouthwash burns when used and this feeling is often disliked by children.
Why Use a Children’s Mouthwash?
Helps Whiten Teeth
Mouthwash can help whiten teeth. Rinsing with mouthwash assists in removing debris left behind after brushing. It can also break down biofilm that causes staining and cavities.
Prevents Bad Breath
Many adults use mouthwash because it freshens their breath, and the same is true for kids! Mouthwash rinses away bad breath causing particles and helps to cut down on bacteria in the mouth, promoting fresher breath.
Helps Fight Gum Disease
Mouthwash can help fight gum disease. By removing debris and cutting down on plaque, mouthwash keeps your entire mouth healthier, including your gums.
Strengthens Tooth Enamel
Mouthwash works in a couple of ways to strengthen tooth enamel. First, fluoride mouthwashes help to protect the teeth from decay and the fluoride may be reabsorbed to strengthen weak spots. Secondly, low salivary flow can lead to enamel erosion. Mouthwash can assist in moisturizing the mouth to keep teeth strong and prevent dry mouth.
Is Mouthwash Right For Your Child?
If your child is over the age of six, introducing mouthwash may be a valuable addition to their oral hygiene routine. Mouthwash is available in a variety of flavors and colors. Most have the same benefits and similar ingredients, but you should choose the one that suits your needs and your child’s preferences.