If you are doing any serious camping, you will probably want a waterproof tent. Tents that are at least water-resistant can provide you protection from the elements. You will be able to stay dry and warm inside even if it is pouring outside.
This will make your camping experience much more enjoyable. The best waterproof tent is the one that not only sheds water but is also ideal for your camping style. Whether you are a car camper or a backpacker we have lined up the best waterproof tents for your trip.
Table of Contents
How to Choose the Right Tent
Consider the Tent Size
Tent size is important when it comes to camping with a group. If you are going solo a single-person tent will often be just fine. This is especially true if you are thru-hiking and need something compact and lightweight. But if you are camping with friends or family make sure you get a tent big enough to accommodate everyone.
Usually, tents come with capacity ratings, but what each manufacturer determines as acceptable space can vary. Many experts agree that at least 20 square feet per person is necessary while some campers prefer 40. Remember, you aren’t just sleeping but will also need room for your gear, room to change, and space to lounge if the weather is miserable.
Is it also Intended for Backpacking?
It is imperative that you pick a tent that will suit your camping style. Backpacking tents and standard tents are often completely different.
Backpacking tents are designed to be small and light so you can carry them with you. They often have lightweight poles, strong but thin fabric, and a design that lets them fold down into a very small shape. They may not be the most comfortable to stay in but they are very practical for carrying with you on your back.
Standard tents have a more flexible design and construction. They can be luxurious in size, use extremely durable but heavy fabric like canvas, and include extra elements like stakes or rain flys.
Try to decide which type of camping you will participate in most often and then select the appropriate tent type.
How Difficult is it to Set Up?
Finally, consider how user-friendly the tent is. No one wants to spend hours assembling and disassembling a tent. This is true whether you are car camping or backpacking. Setting up a tedious tent at night or in poor weather can be especially difficult.
Choose a tent that will be sturdy but also easy to set up once you are at your campsite.
Things to Consider Before Buying a Tent
There are a handful of common tent types. The most well known are:
The traditional triangle shape. They are easy to set up and handle poor weather well. However, they lack indoor space and headroom.
A dome shape that provides lots of floor space and headroom. They are easy to set up and often affordable. Dome tents don’t handle wind well and large ones can be unstable.
The design can include things like a vestibule. Some tents even have hanging storage or screened porches. Tents can range from basic to luxury.
Do you need a tent with taped waterproof seams? Or, are you only a fair-weather camper that can use a tent with standard construction? Think about all elements of the tent, like the poles, fabric, seams, and tie-downs or stakes.
Ventilation is important for most tents, it is a big factor for tents that will be used in very hot weather. To keep the inside of your tent bearable look for a design with zip-down windows and ventilation holes at the peak of the tent. It is also a great idea to have the option to decrease the ventilation in case the weather turns chilly.
Of course, consider how much space you need. Remember the 20-40 square feet per person rule. Don’t forget that some tents consider sleeping space as head to toe and packed in quite tightly. Think about how much room you will need to keep everyone comfortable should you have to spend the day inside the tent avoiding the rain.
While there are technically five different seasons of tents, most people only come into contact with four-season tents, three-season tents, or your basic warm weather tent.
A warm-weather tent is only used when the weather is favorable. A three-season tent is great for most campers. It can handle some wind and rain and can even be used when the weather is slightly cooler, like the spring and fall. A four-season tent is strong and made to handle harsh conditions including frigid winter temperatures.
Don’t forget protection! Waterproofing is a great layer of protection. You may also want a rain-fly, a windshield, or even a multi-functional tarp. Some tents come with protection while others offer them as accessories that can be purchased separately.
Best Waterproof Tents You can Find on Amazon
Coleman Tent Dome Screen Room Evanston Camping Screened-In Porch
If you are looking for a waterproof tent with space, check out the Coleman Tent Dome Screen Room Evanston Camping Screened-In Porch. This six-person dome tent claims to be weatherproof. Welded corners and inverted seams don’t let even the slightest drop of water in. Should things get particularly nasty, the waterproof floor, wind-strong frame, and rainfly keep occupants warm and dry. Setting up in just 15 minutes this roomy tent is comfortable and convenient.
- Weatherproof: Welded corners and inverted seams keep water from getting in; Included rainfly offers extra weather protection
- Conventional pitch: Sets up in 15 minutes
- Bug-free lounging: 10 x 5 feet full-floor screen room
Coleman Tent Sundome Dome
The Coleman Tent Sundome Dome is a wonderful shelter for two people. Like other Coleman tents, it has features that keep the weather outside, like welded corners, a rainfly, inverted seams, and WeatherTec fabrics. While you are hunkering down inside, you will appreciate the e-port that provides easy access to an extension cord without compromising the tent’s weatherproofing. Hanging storage and enhanced ventilation round out the comfort features.
- WEATHERPROOF: Welded corners and inverted seams keep water from getting in; included rainfly offers extra weather protection
- WIND AND RAIN TESTED: Strong frame withstands 35+ mph winds
- GREAT VENTILATION: Large windows and ground vent for enhanced airflow
ayamaya Pop Up Tents with Vestibule
If you want a tent that is ready for use in just seconds you will love the ayamaya Pop Up Tents with Vestibule. It can accommodate up to six people with its spacious floor area and domed shape that offers a decent amount of headroom. Its unique design allows it to be assembled in just seconds, open the bag and let it go! Double layered fabrics help prevent condensation so you stay dry. While the coated polyester roof and heat-sealed seams protect against rain. A separate vestibule is awesome for leaving all your damp gear protected but out of your main living area.
- [ Roomy Enough for 4-6 Person with Vestibule ] – This pop up tent has spacious interior:12.5 x 8.5 feet floor; Sleeps 5-6 adults in sleeping bags or 4-5 people with lots of luggage. Center Height: 53.5". Unique vestibule design offers separate room for lots of camping gears, shoes or your large dog. Electrical Cord Access Port, enable you to run a power cord from outside power source into the devices of your tent. Storage pockets and lantern hook keep items neat and organized.
- [ Unique Double Layer – Prevent Condensation ] – This camping tents special designed with double layer, the inner layer and outer layer connected by hooks, which can effectively prevent condensation. There is a gap between the inner and outer layer, become a ground vents which can offer additional ventilation to keep you cool on the warm spring and summer evening.
- [ Easy Setup with Smaller Package ] – This quick setup tent with pre-assembled poles sets up in seconds. Simply open the bag and let go, making the pitching process easy and enjoyable. No need to fumble with tent poles, or bother with complicated instructions. Tent comes in a portable smaller carrying bag. Size only 88*88*3cm/ 34.6*34.6*1.2 inch, easy to carry.
NTK INDY GT Outdoor Dome Family Camping Tent
The NTK INDY GT Outdoor Dome Family Camping Tent has a very cool design that is both appealing and functional. It has a large interior and a covered vestibule with an expansive waterproof floor. You can get out of the rain by hanging out on its “porch” or shelter the storm within the tent. Nano-flex poles are very sturdy but also extremely light. The double-layer rainfly extends to cover the entire tent, giving your 100% full coverage. Heat-sealed seams and a floor consisting of polyethylene with a silver-coated inner layer won’t allow for even the tiniest leak.
- DESIGNED FOR QUICK & EASY ASSEMBLY – The INDY 4- 5 person tent is great for all the family . With easy assembly, the spacious European design one door tent weighs 12lbs with a comfortable floor size of 12.8ft x 8ft (sleep area of 8ft x 7ft) and 4.7ft center height for maximum comfort.
- DOUBLE LAYER FULL COVERAGE RAINFLY – 100% waterproof 190T polyester laminated with polyurethane. 2500mm water column rainfly provides full coverage, while the heat-seamed thermoplastic coating offers UV protection. Inner tent has a large 2-way zipper D-style door with full mesh protection. Roomy utility pocket for storage and ventilated mesh roof. European design delivers a unique front vestibule that has an awning and side door with a detachable PE tarp floor.
- THICK NANO-FLEX TECHNOLOGY FRAME – Extra thick Nano-flex fiberglass poles interconnect with double gold chrome plated ferrule hardware and strong elastic , offering a sturdy construction . Made with 100% virgin material to provide additional strength and flexibility.
Eackrola Pop Up Tent for Camping
A simple and user-friendly tent, the Eackrola Pop Up Tent for Camping can be set up in seconds. If you arrive in the dark or inclement weather you simply take out the tent and throw it in the air; it will pop into place. You can then stay dry and warm inside thanks to its 190T polyester shell and leak-free seams. The mesh windows and doors both can be zipped closed so you can get ventilation when you want it and protection when you need it.
- EASY SET UP: Take out the pop up tent, unstrap the tent, throw it in the air, watch it open itself in seconds. No need to fumble with poles or complicated instructions. Please watch the video or instruction to learn how to use it.
- GOOD ENOUGH SIZE FOR FAMILY: The instant tent for camping has the 280cm x 215 cm / 9.2ft x 7.1ft , centre height: 120cm / 3.9ft, which can easily fits for 2 adults and 2 kids. It's a great family tent and ideal for your family trip.
- SUPERB VENTILATION SYSTEM: Eackrola camping tent features two doors, which will allow you to air out the tent in a couple minutes. And the additional mesh windows will keep bugs out and allow for adequate airflow on hot days.
MOON LENCE Pop Up Tent
The MOON LENCE Pop Up Tent weighs just over ten pounds but is spacious enough for four adults! This makes it ideal for those who like to pack light. It isn’t a take-out of the bag and throw pop-up, but it does have a special pop-up mechanism that doesn’t require affixing poles and only takes one minute to operate. Its waterproof groundsheet and 190T PU material walls keep occupants safe from water, wind, and UV rays. Two huge doors with dual zippers offer both access to the interior and ventilation. When you close the doors at night, ground vents keep you cool and comfortable.
- Roomy 4 Person Tent: With the unfolding size of 240*210*125cm (94.5*82.6*49.2in), the tent is spacious for 4 adults. Weigh only 4.9kg (10.8lb), it can be stored in to the 83*18*18cm (32.7*7.1*7.1in) carry bag. Super easy to carry it everywhere.
- Breathable & Stable: 2 Large doors with dual zippers and 2 ground vents provide much better ventilation. Equipped with 10 lightweight Alloy Pegs and 4 Guy Ropes, the tent has a high resistance of wind. More Secure.
- All-round protection: 190T PU material and 210D Oxford Ground Sheet provide 2000mm water resistance and excellent UV resistance. The doors equipped with high quality SBS zippers can be closed tightly, which provide stronger resistance to harsh weather.
Core 9 Person Extended Dome Tent
Those with a huge group can’t pass up the Core 9 Person Extended Dome Tent. This spacious tent has plenty of room for you and all of your guests plus everyone’s luggage. H20 Block Technology means there is almost zero chance of water seeping in from the walls, roof, or floor. Extra-wide and thick heat-sealed seam tape doesn’t let sideways rain blow in during a storm. The rainfly provides an extra layer of protection. A gear loft, lantern hooks, and pockets keep everything up and off the floor in case someone tracks in water.
- Sleeps 9 people; Fits three queen air mattresses; Center Height: 72 inches
- CORE H20 Block Technology and adjustable ground vent.Pole Type: Traditional Fiber Glass Poles
- Features gear loft with lantern hook and pockets to keep items organized and off the tent floor
Coleman Dome Tent for Camping
Sleek and lightweight, you may be surprised that the Coleman Dome Tent for Camping sleeps four adults. Its welded corners, inverted seams, and rainfly block out any moisture. The super durable but light frame can resist winds up to an astonishing 35 miles per hour. Sleeping in the outdoors is wonderful, but you may not enjoy getting up with the sun. Darkroom technology means you don’t have to as the fabric blocks out 90% of sunlight. All this and it can be set up in under ten minutes.
- DARK ROOM TECHNOLOGY: Blocks 90% of sunlight (vs. a comparable Coleman tent) so you can sleep in past sunrise
- REDUCES HEAT: For a more comfortable rest anytime of day
- WEATHERPROOF: Welded corners and inverted seams keep water from getting in; included rainfly offers extra weather protection; strong frame withstands 35+ mph winds
HIKERGARDEN Camping Tent
The HIKERGARDEN Camping Tent has a ginormous floor and an unusually high center height. This is amazing because the average adult can stand fully upright while in this tent. The outermost layer of protection is a fully taped rainfly complete with hooks so it will never blow off. If you remove the rainfly the roof and walls will still keep out moisture as they are made with 185T water-resistant polyester. A breathable ceiling and four mesh windows give you supreme ventilation to keep you comfortable and prevent condensation.
- 【Spacious For 10】- HIKERGARDEN 10 person tent designed with the floor dimension of 168 x 132in and the center height 74in, larger than normal tents ensure most people could stand straight up. Spacious enough for 10 adults. 3 Queen air mattresses or 10 sleeping bags are well fit inside. Ideal family tent for car camping or outdoor traveling at all weather.
- 【Easy Setup】- No particular skills needed. Easy Install in 9mins by two builders. Fully taped removable rainfly fixed with hooks and can never be blown away. E-port design allows it easy to connect the power source. Configured with the 2-way smooth & sturdy zippers, which makes it never stuck.
- 【Waterproof & Durable】- Made of 185T Polyester, HIKERGARDEN tent achieves PU1000mm water-resistant. Rain on but keeps dry inside and never leaks. Thick and sturdy fabric with long nails at corners to make it stands well. The high quality of fiberglass poles ensures a waterproof tent is much stronger than pop up tents, which makes your camping trip more delightful and comfortable!
UNP Tents 6 Person Waterproof Windproof Easy Setup
The UNP Tents 6 Person Waterproof Windproof Easy Setup is one of the roomiest tents on the market. It can easily sleep six and give each person enough room to change while standing up. This expansive cave is constructed with 185T polyester that is rated 100% waterproof. A complete coverage rainfly helps to ensure that rain won’t blow in during a gale. Steel leg poles and a square-shaped roof allow the tent to resist even the stiffest winds. Multiple storage options, a plethora of windows, and high and low vents make this a great home away from home.
- 【Weatherproof &High-Quality Material】 Made with 185T polyester. With the 1000mm polyurethane hydrostatic rated coating high-tech,The Cave is 100% waterproof; 4 Steel Leg Poles, Rectangular Roof: make the tent more firmly, stable and windproof.
- 【Roomy Interior】10ft x 9ft with 78in Center Height, fit 6 sleeping bags, Has enough room for 6 campers and even lets you stand up changing.
- 【Multiple Interior Storage Options】Electrical Access Port lets you run a cord from your device in the tent to an outside power source, gear loft, mesh storage pockets keep small necessities well organized.
Forceatt 2-4 Person Camping TentForceatt 2-4 Person Camping Tent
The space-saving Forceatt 2-4 Person Camping Tent is effortless to carry as it is both light and compact. Sleeping two, the D-shaped doors allow easy entry from either side. High-quality polyester keeps out water and condensation and windproof aluminum rods make it very stable. Four wind ropes and a welded floor help the tent to further withstand wind and rain. At just over 5.5 pounds you can carry this tent nearly anywhere!
- 【LIGHTWEIGHT AND CONVENIENT】 The internal size of the Forceatt camping tent is 86.6x51.1x43.3in (220x130x110cm), which can accommodate two person at the same time. At the same time, it has a package size of 41 x 14cm and weighs 5.68lb (2.58kg), which saves space and is easy to carry.
- 【QUALITY MATERIALS】 The backpacking tent material is made of high quality 70D polyester fiber and windproof 7001 aluminum rod, Waterproof and resistant to wind. At the same time, the welded floor design improves the bottom of the backpack. Four wind ropes can be added to ensure the tent is stronger in the wind.
- 【PROFESSIONAL DESIGN】 There are two D-shaped doors in the tent. The outer account has two vestibules. The upper part of the tent has a large mesh window and two ceiling vents to keep the air flowing.
Toogh 3-4 Person Camping Tent
The Toogh 3-4 Person Camping Tent has a special design that allows it to automatically pop up and collapse down with the simplest of movements. Once set up its dome design is comfy and cozy without being cramped. High-quality oxford fabric with a silicone coating keeps the inside dry no matter the conditions outside. The tent floor is tough and waterproof, securing the tent to the ground. With six sides the tent is more stable in windy and rainy conditions than most.
- ✅【Unique and fantastic design】The tent is Super easy to set up and take down in only 60 seconds，Simply lift up the top of the tent and it will automatic installation. Press the end of the pole at moment which poles have yellow labels, automatically folding tent
- ✅【High Quality Waterproof Fabric】Outside tent with a waterproof level of 3000mm is made of 210D oxford fabric + Silicone Coating. The tent floor with a waterproof level of 10000mm is made of 210T
- ✅【100% Risk Free Pirchase】: Are you unsatisfied with the our tent? we offer 24-hour customer service and a 12-month satisfaction guarantee for a completely risk-free purchase. If there are any problems with the tent, please e-mail us. So do not hold back any longer
Tent Camping Tips
These tents are great at keeping you dry, but for them to work you need to take care of them. Here are a few great tips for maintaining your waterproof tent.
- Never put it away wet. If you leave your campsite with the tent wet, set it up at home and let it dry out before storing it.
- Use a ground mat whenever you can for extra protection
- Occasionally check seams and repair them as necessary
- Waterproofing can wear out over time and you may need to retreat your tent
- Try not to wear shoes inside your tent or drag in debris
If you take care of your tent it will continue to take care of you while you’re at the campsite!
A waterproof tent can make or break your camping trip. No one wants to be cold and wet and miserable while they are away from home. However, there is a wide variety of waterproof tents. You can find one in almost any size, shape, and style. Be sure to pick the characteristics that best suit your camping needs before settling on the best waterproof tent for your trip.