Airbrush makeup creates a beautiful finish and is commonly sought after for special events, like weddings. Airbrush makeup is when makeup is applied using a special tool that mists it onto your face. Brushes, sponges, or even your fingers aren’t required. Though it is beautiful, there are a few special considerations when deciding if you want to try airbrush makeup. Our helpful guide will cover the ins and outs of this exciting beauty routine and highlight a few of the best airbrush makeup kits to choose from.
Table of Contents
What Foundations Can Be Airbrushed?
There are a variety of foundations that can be airbrushed. However, each one has its advantages and disadvantages. Knowing each of their characteristics when airbrushed can help you decide which type is best for your makeup routine.
Silicone Based Foundation
As you may have guessed, silicone-based foundations are made primarily of silicone ingredients. This foundation type is excellent at creating a smooth finish thanks to its viscous quality. It also tends to stay put when you sweat or get it wet. Though it usually is good for dry skin, it can cause breakouts on some individuals. Silicone foundation can provide a flawless appearance that lasts, but is thick and may require a stronger airbrush compressor.
Water-based foundation goes on very easily. It also feels light and has a nice matte appearance. This can make it ideal for oily skin or acne-prone skin. You won’t need a heavy-duty compressor because this makeup type consists heavily of water, which creates a thin formula. However, it isn’t as long-lasting as other types and can be prone to cracking.
Alcohol-based foundation provides supreme coverage and superior wear. It can cover tattoos, birthmarks, and scarring. It is a light formula and is relatively easy to use. Although it isn’t recommended as a makeup option for your face as alcohol is quite drying. Instead, alcohol-based foundation is a popular choice for airbrush body makeup and paint.
Mineral Based Foundation
Mineral-based foundation has become quite popular. It contains minerals, like zinc, that have been ground into a fine powder. Mineral-based makeup is light, sheer, and suits nearly all skin types. Oily, dry, and combination skin have success with airbrushed mineral makeup. It also has great hold, effortlessly lasting all day.
Airbrush makeup kits can work with nearly any type of liquid foundation. They cannot be used with non-liquid makeup. As long as your liquid makeup has been thinned according to the airbrushing kit instructions, you should be good to go!
Best Airbrush Makeup Kits
Belloccio Professional Beauty Airbrush Cosmetic Makeup System
First up is the Belloccio Professional Beauty Airbrush Cosmetic Makeup System. This complete set has everything you need to get started on your airbrush makeup routine. It includes a brush and compressor, complete with three different airflow settings. Along with the brush, you also receive a foundation in four different shades, primer, brush, shimmer, and bronzer. The kit comes with a variety of accessories as well, including a setting sponge and an airbrush cleaner. This kit will give you the most bang for your buck.
- Belloccio Cosmetic Makeup Airbrush and Compressor System. System Includes A Precision Makeup Airbrush and A Compressor with 3 Air Flow Settings.
- Belloccio'S 1/4 Oz. Fair Shade Airbrush Makeup Foundation Set with 4 Color Shades To Assure A Perfect Match.
- Includes Bottles of Anti-Aging Moisturizing Primer, Blush, Shimmer, Bronzer and Airbrush Cleaner
TEMPTU Air Airbrush Starter Kit: Cordless Professional At-Home Airbrush Makeup
Next is the TEMPTU Air Airbrush Starter Kit: Cordless Professional At-Home Airbrush Makeup. This is an awesome starter kit because it is simple to use and is quite versatile. Unlike other setups, the airbrush is cordless and atomizes makeup into a fine mist without a compressor. It is effortless to use and to hold. You can recharge to brush using the versatile USB cord. The kit comes with a foundation airpod in the shade of your choice. Simply load it in, choose one of the three airflow settings and you’re on your way to airbrushed beauty.
- LUXURY BEAUTY TOOL: Enjoy a perfect professional makeup artist look and a more hygienic application
- INSTANT COVERAGE: Conceal pores, fine lines, blemishes and skin discoloration on your face and body
- SMOOTH, EVEN SPRAY: The lightweight, micro-fine mist provides more coverage using less make up
Tickled Pink Cosmetic Airbrush Makeup Kit with 89% Organic Water Based Makeup Infused with Organic Aloe Juice
A great organic option is the Tickled Pink Cosmetic Airbrush Makeup Kit with 89% Organic Water Based Makeup Infused with Organic Aloe Juice. This compact kit comes with everything you need and nothing you don’t. The all-metal airbrush is quiet and doesn’t require an air tank. You can choose from three different airflows to customize your experience. The water-based makeup is infused with aloe to soothe and hydrate your skin. This long-lasting airbrush kit has an excellent warranty and many great features to nourish and complement your skin.
Luminess Air Basic Airbrush System
Finally, we have the Luminess Air Basic Airbrush System. This kit is durable, travel-friendly, and professional grade. It can help you achieve beautiful airbrushed makeup in your own home. The low PSI brush is gentle on skin and helps deliver a fine mist, with its quiet motor. The kit includes foundation, blush, primer, and the airbrush system itself. It is a breeze to clean, use, and store.
- Get photo-quality, flawless looking skin with Luminess Air Airbrush System
- The Luminess Air Airbrush System is portable and durable, making it easy to travel with
- Achieve professional makeup artist results in your own home with the Luminess Air Airbrush System
Best Airbrush Makeup Foundations
Luminess Air Airbrush Silk 4-in-1 Enhanced Foundation
Luminess Air Airbrush Silk 4-in-1 Enhanced Foundation excels at full coverage. It gives your face a silky smooth appearance by covering fine lines, pores, and pigmentation. Gentle enough to use every day, but strong enough to last up to 18 hours. It is also hypoallergenic, oil-free, and water-resistant.
- Hydrolyzed silk threads are strong, fibrous and elastic, preventing Silk from creasing or settling into fine lines, and keeping it fresh, and in place, all day.
- With just one light airbrush application, wrinkles instantly soften, pores diminish and visible imperfections disappear.
- Mineral-based, oil-free and hypoallergenic, Silk's gentle formula is light enough for everyday use, but strong enough for 18 hours of smudge-resistant coverage.
TEMPTU S/B Silicone-Based Airbrush Foundation
If you want a silicone-based foundation check out TEMPTU S/B Silicone-Based Airbrush Foundation. Available in twelve different shades you can find the perfect buildable base for your skin. It provides a dewy finish that keeps you looking fresh and smooth. It will last all day without irritating skin. Excellent for an airbrush kit or sponge touch-ups.
- PRO AIRBRUSH FOUNDATION: Light formula provides a dewy, natural looking finish to give skin a healthy glow
- CUSTOMIZABLE COLORS: Choose from 12 different buildable shades that can be blended for custom looks
- VERSATILE: This makeup can be applied by airbrush, fingertips, brush or sponge for a natural look
MagicMinerals AirBrush Foundation by Jerome Alexander
MagicMinerals AirBrush Foundation by Jerome Alexander is a mineral-based foundation. It is lightweight while also giving you excellent concealing coverage. You don’t have to worry about this sheer formula fading as it is water, sweat, and tear-resistant. Skin nourishing ingredients like Hyaluronic Acid, Argireline, and Matrixyl 3000 give a matte finish in three different shades.
- BUILDABLE, BREATHABLE, LIGHTWEIGHT COVERAGE: Our innovative spray foundation provides full coverage in an ultra-light mineral formula. Light enough for everyday use, this buildable foundation conceals hard-to-cover areas and gives you a soft, matte finish without caking or streaking.
- INFUSED WITH ANTI-AGING SKINCARE ACTIVES: A proprietary blend of skincare active ingredients including Hyaluronic Acid, Argireline, and Matrixyl 3000 helps hydrate and brighten skin, reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, and promotes collagen production and skin elasticity.
- EASY, FLAWLESS APPLICATION: The Kabuki Brush’s soft bristle, full-head design makes it easy to apply the foundation and blend to build your ideal look.
Luminess Air Airbrush Ultra Dewy Finish Foundation
Searching for a foundation with a healthy, dewy finish? Consider Luminess Air Airbrush Ultra Dewy Finish Foundation. Six shades, each of them dermatologist and ophthalmologist tested for non-irritating, long-lasting coverage. Because it is water-based it is ultralight and very comfortable. You can forget about makeup buildup or reactions as this blend is paraben-, alcohol-, fragrance- and oil-free.
- Dermatologist and ophthalmologist tested, making it ideal for everyday wear
- Hypoallergenic, water-based, and noncomedogenic. The Airbrush Foundation won't clog your pores and is perfect for sensitive skin.
- Luminess Air Airbrush Ultra Foundation lasts up to 18 hours for flawless coverage
Luminess Air Airbrush Full Coverage Mystic Airbrush Foundation
Finally, we have Luminess Air Airbrush Full Coverage Mystic Airbrush Foundation. This is a superior all-in-one option. You can choose from nine different shades, each one acts as foundation, concealer, corrector, and primer. Delivering gorgeous coverage like no other, this mineral-based foundation will hide nearly any skin condition you can name. Healthy additions like neem extract make it suitable for acne-prone or irritated skin as it is antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and antimicrobial.
- Mystic is a premium, all-in-one foundation, concealer, corrector and primer that gives you insanely radiant coverage and a naturally flawless finish without the cakey look of full coverage makeup. Available in 12 customizable shades to match any skin tone.
- Luminess Mystic Airbrush foundation is a full coverage foundation with the translucent look of natural skin. Mystic easily conceals redness, birthmarks, tattoos, blemishes, rosacea, and dark undereye circles, rendering them gloriously undetectable
- Mineral-based, oil-free and hypoallergenic, Mystic's gentle formula is light enough for everyday use and opaque enough to blur any imperfection. Mystic provides up to 18 hours of transfer- and smudge-resistant coverage
The Benefits of Airbrush Makeup
Though airbrush makeup was once only sought for important events and special days, it now is being used for daily wear as well. Airbrush makeup has quite a few advantages that makeup aficionados will love!
Airbrush makeup is water-resistant, making it an obvious choice for important events. It can stand up to tears and sweat (hello beach wedding)! Though it isn’t waterproof, so swimming with it isn’t advised.
Another benefit of durability is that it is transfer-proof. You can confidently hug and kiss without worrying about your makeup leaving a mark on someone else. It also won’t transfer to clothing.
Light and Has Full Coverage
Airbrush makeup is misted on, this has two benefits. The first is that it is exceptionally light, perfect for those who don’t like feeling like they are wearing a mask. The second benefit is full coverage. Applied in a fine layer, the mist fills in spots, creases, and all exposed areas, making for one smooth appearance.
Airbrush makeup has all-day wear. You can sweat and it won’t run and smile and it won’t crack. Airbrush makeup is ideal for when you need a look that will last.
The Disadvantages of Airbrush Makeup
If you’re thinking, “Airbrush makeup sounds too good to be true!”, don’t worry. There are only a few drawbacks, some of which may not even apply to you.
Airbrush makeup uses specialized products and tools. If you want a professional to apply it the process is a little more involved. Therefore, it can be more costly. Most people accept the higher price tag if they are considering airbrush makeup for their wedding or event. If you are thinking about it for daily wear the cost is one disadvantage.
Not Suitable for Dry Skin
Most skin types do well with airbrushed makeup. Unfortunately, though, dry skin isn’t well suited to airbrushed makeup. The long wear and flawless finish come at a price, namely that it is not as creamy as traditional makeup. This means on dry skin it can sometimes flake.
Difficult to Re-blend
Airbrush makeup is pretty durable. However, if you get it too wet or rub some of it off, it is hard to re-blend. There isn’t a great way to fill in tear streaks or redo patches by either re-airbrushing or using standard makeup. The entire flawless application is difficult to recreate.
Not Recommended on Active Breakouts
Airbrush makeup isn’t great for active breakouts. This is because it is applied with a fine mist that really settles onto the skin and has full coverage. This can trap unwanted particles and oil on your breakout. It also doesn’t allow the breakout to breathe and heal. Airbrush makeup is excellent for acne scarring, but not ideal for ongoing acne issues.
Airbrushing, a Fantastic Makeup Application Choice!
Airbrush makeup isn’t only for special events anymore. You can find an excellent at home airbrush makeup kit and foundation to take your everyday look from dull to dazzling. We have listed a few great options that will hopefully make your search a bit easier.