Ahh, the kitchen. A modern landing zone for some of the most specific and one-task oriented gadgets the world has to offer. For any specific cooking or baking task, there’s a kitchen item designed to perform it. What’s really powerful about the growth in the kitchen accessories market is that there has been more investment in how they can visually add to our homes.
If you think about it, the kitchen is an aesthetic powerhouse in the home. It seems that more and more, companies are learning to fuse functionality and design into the products on the market, so therein lies the biggest question of all: “what exactly do I need?” Below are some of the items that everyone should have in their kitchen:
Finding the perfect chef’s knife can be difficult. Many people settle for a cheaper option that ends up dull and virtually useless within months of purchase. We would recommend doing some research on the subject before purchasing this tool. Overall, you’ll want to look for something that is durable and can perform multiple tasks. Some knives are designed with a specific function in mind, limiting what you can do with it (without dulling the blade). Don’t be afraid to spend a little more on a chef’s knife. In doing so, you can avoid having to buy an entire knife set. Plus, the time investment for taking care of just one knife versus a whole set will leave you more time to enjoy using it!
- 【8 Inch Chef's Knife】: This MOSFiATA 8 Inch Chef Knife is made of high-quality German stainless steel that resists rust, corrosion and discoloration. It can be used for your daily kitchen tasks of chopping, slicing, dicing and mincing of all kinds of meat, vegetables, fruits and bread. It is suitable for both home and restaurant kitchens.
- 【Sharp Edge & 14~16° Sharpening Angle】: Sharpness is key. Hand-polished by craftsmen with decades of experience to ensure its durability. The thickness of this kitchen knife is 2.5mm. Its hand-polished edge is 14-16 degrees per side, which is sturdy and sharp to get the job done perfectly. Rockwell hardness: 56 ± 2 HRC.
- 【Sturdy Ergonomic Design & Micarta Handle】: The solid Micarta handle minimizes wrist tension while providing a secure, comfortable grip no matter your hand size or where you grip. Even after prolonged use, your palm and wrist will not fatigue. Ideal for both people who cook frequently and those who just like preparing snacks. The durability and reliability of the kitchen knife are secured by the triple rivet design that attaches the handle firmly onto the blade
Cast Iron Skillet
While cast iron is heavier than your standard non-stick pan, the functionality of this item is much higher. Traditional nonstick pans often have plastic handles which can melt if misplaced on the stovetop. Moreover, non-stick pans are less versatile when it comes to performance. Cast iron performs well at high heat levels and can be used on the stovetop, in the oven, or even over a campfire. If properly taken care of, cast iron will last a lifetime and can be passed down from one generation to another.
- One Lodge Pre-Seasoned 10.25 Inch Cast Iron Skillet
- Assist handle for better control
- Unparalleled heat retention and even heating
The Instant Pot is a modern must-have in any kitchen. Not only is it a pressure cooker, but the newer models perform dozens of various functions. You can use this kitchen essential in so many ways, from cooking rice, to sauteing vegetables, to slow cooking meat or soaking beans. Did you know that you can cook an entire frozen chicken in an Instant Pot in less than two hours? With this one item you can consolidate many standard appliances into one without the complication of extra attachments and parts to wash.
- 7-IN-1 APPLIANCES: electric pressure cooker, rice cooker, slow cooker, yogurt maker, steamer, sauté pan and food warmer
- QUICK ONE-TOUCH COOKING with 13 Smart Touch customizable programs for pressure cooking ribs, soups, beans, rice, poultry, yogurt, desserts and more on autopilot
- COOK FAST OR COOK SLOW with pressure cooking up to 70% faster than traditional cooking methods or slow cooking for traditional grandma-approved recipes
It almost feels like this one goes without saying, but if you don’t currently have measuring cups, they will change your life for the better. Measuring cups are essential to baking any recipe to perfection and if you’re on a health journey, can actually help you to standardize your snack portions, as well. We would personally recommend a set of metal measuring cups because, as stated before, plastic and hot surfaces really aren’t the best combination.
- Includes 1-cup, 2-cup and 4-cup versions
- Easy to read measurements in cups, ounces and milliliters. Features a curved spout for precise pouring and easy-grip handles for comfort
- Durable, high-quality tempered glass is dishwasher, freezer, microwave and preheated oven safe
Mixing Bowl Set
You’d be hard-pressed to get by in the kitchen without mixing bowls around. Not only are they great for baking, but they are also super handy food storage containers, as well. An added bonus is if you can find a set that has handles, as they are easier to move about the kitchen, especially when retrieving food from the fridge. Bowls with handles also make good popcorn containers for movie night!
- VIBRANT COLOR BOWLS - Brighten up your kitchen with color steel mixing bowls in a range of 4 sizes—¾, 1.5, 3, and 5 quarts—to add versatility and functionality to your kitchen.
- QUALITY STAINLESS-STEEL INTERIOR - and plastic exteriors retain chilled temperatures, while also protecting your hands from extreme temps. These are odor, stain, and taste resistant. This metal bowl set ensures lasting quality, are easy clean, & are dishwasher safe
- NON-SLIP BOTTOMS - Salad bowl with flat nonslip rubber bottoms offers dependable stability and a firm grip when using the bowls to mix and beat ingredients; a rolled rim ensures seamless, mess-free pouring.
This is a kitchen essential because it protects your countertops from unnecessary damage. A personal favorite material for cutting boards is glass (because of how quickly it can be cleaned off), but wooden boards are definitely the most practical all-around option. Plastic boards are the most budget-friendly option but they are quickly cut up by knives and won’t last nearly as long as the others. Glass and marble are sturdy options but will dull out your kitchen knives faster, so they may not be the best option if you have a limited knife set. For durability, surface material, and longevity, wood is definitely the best option.
- Durable Rubber Border: help keep your cutting boards from slipping and sliding on countertop surfaces; featuring a strong rubber border and handle, the boards are designed to stay in place, even while cutting and chopping tough ingredients
- Larger Sized Boards: 3 generously sized boards; the largest board measures 16 by 11.2 inches; the medium board measures 13.8 by 9.6 inches; the small board measures 11.8 by 8 inches
- Deep Juice Grooves: deep grooves along the border of the cutting board help catch the juices from your ingredients so that they won’t spill on your countertops; help keep kitchen prep cleaner than ever before
You might not think this is a kitchen essential, but once you consider all of its functions, you might change your mind. Tongs get used in so many different ways, the most practical of which is pulling corn on the cob from a pot of boiling hot water. If you’ve ever attempted to do that with a slotted spoon or worse, a fork, you know what we’re talking about. If you haven’t attempted it, please don’t. Because they can be used for tossing salads, plating bacon, mixing noodles and sauces, or flipping chicken nuggets in the oven (to name a few), they’ve made the list.
- Heat resistant up to 500 degrees F.
- Non-stick, Corrosion resistant and Odor resistant.
- Hygienic silicone tongs BPA-free.
Whether you cook at home or eat out for every meal, you will need these in your kitchen. Perfect for storing leftovers, takeout, snacks, meal preps, etc, the hardest part of owning these is keeping them organized. Try to opt for a sturdy plastic that is easily stackable. We’ve found that the weight of glass containers adds up quickly if you’re taking them on the go, so thick, good-quality plastic sets are the best option for both inside and outside of the house.
The uses for a baking tray are endless, whether food-related or not. You can put freshly cut banana slices on a baking tray in the freezer to save money on pre-bagged frozen fruit. Great for baking desserts, roasting vegetables, or marinating meat, a set of solid baking trays will serve you in more ways than you can dream.
- NONSTICK - Bakeware’s textured nonstick surface promotes quick and effortless food release and enhances airflow to bake and brown foods evenly
- NON-TOXIC - Ditch the chemicals with BINO's carbon steel bakeware. Our bakeware's coating does not include potentially toxic materials like PFOA, PTFE, other PFAs, lead, cadmium, or toxic metals
- EASY TO CLEAN - Use these baking sheets without the hassle of cleaning. Nonstick coating makes cooking residue slide right off. Just rinse under water for an effortless clean. Hand wash recommended
Silicone Baking Mat
Going along with your baking trays, silicone baking mats have risen in popularity over the past few years, replacing single-use aluminum and paper products designed to keep pans clean. They also prevent foods like zucchini and squash from getting caked onto the pans and can even be used as a protective surface on your countertop while you prepare sandwiches, roll doughs, or form cookies. Because of the mess they can help avoid and their reusability, they make the list.
- 【MULTI-PURPOSE BAKING MATS SET】FKGIONG 3 Packs Silicone Baking Mats： 2 x Half-Sheet Size Mats (11 5/8" x 16 1/2") 1 x Quarter-Sheet Size Cooking Mats (11 1/2” x 8 1/2”) - Thickness is 0.7 mm (approx. 1/32"). Odors will not permeate this baking mat. Everything cooks evenly without uneven browning.
- 【 BPA-FREE & HEALTHY】Those Silicone Baking Mats are made from 100% food-grade silicone, that's safe to use for any kind of food, don't have any chemical taste or odor. Keep yourself and your family healthy. Perfect for baking, kneading, rolling, candy/macaron/pastry/cookie/bun/bread /pizza.
- 【NO STICK & EASTY TO CLEAN】Our nonstick silicone mats for baking sheets are easy to clean & dishwasher safe, just put them into the dishwasher. Save so much time by not having to scrub your baking silicone mats & pans clean. Makes a great holiday gift for every baking lover!
While many would argue that a salad spinner is NOT an essential addition to the kitchen, we would argue what a great colander the inner lining of a salad spinner makes. A salad spinner can act as a bowl with a lid, a pasta strainer, a fresh fruit salad container, and of course, a salad spinner. We would caution against a collapsible version, however, they are not nearly as versatile.
- Fabric Type: Plastic
- Hand washed for best results
Can openers are essential because there may come a time when the power goes out and all you have is canned food available. We all know the struggle of not having a can opener and trying to open one with a bottle opener. Be prepared for anything! Invest in a sturdy opener or even an electric one, it will come in handy for opening cans and jars, especially on camping trips!
- Large, comfortable handles take the pain out of opening cans
- Features big, cushioned handles for a non slip grip, even when wet
- Oversized knob turns easily to take the hard work out of opening cans
The great thing about blenders is that they come in at so many price points within the market that there is a model for every house, whether you make smoothies every day or you’re only interested in making sauces a couple times a year. You can get by with a Magic Bullet blender before upgrading to a bigger, more industrial-strength option. Either way, you’ll find that there are great options for every budget and home.
- PROFESSIONAL POWER: 1000 watts of professional power can crush ice and breakdown any tough ingredient.
- XL CAPACITY: The 72 oz.* professional blender pitcher is excellent for making frozen drinks and creamy smoothies for the entire family. *64 oz. max liquid capacity
- INTELLIGENT TECHNOLOGY: Total Crushing Technology delivers unbeatable power with blades that pulverize and crush through ice, whole fruits and vegetables in seconds.
When we say each kitchen needs a spatula, we’re talking about a sturdy spatula that’s not going to melt if left in the pan or on the burner. Our favorite is a metal head spatula with a rubber grip handle, wide enough for flipping pancakes or several chicken nuggets or vegetables at a time. A good spatula can even be used for stirring sauces in a pan, proving its versatility in the kitchen.
- 2 Pack-including Large and Small spatula. Sturdy, durable construction with a comfortable nonslip handle and silicone head bonded to a flexible stainless-steel core. Ideal for flipping eggs, burgers, crepes and more.
- Thin, flexible silicone head with an angled edge that glides easily beneath food without damaging it.
- Spatula head is made of supreme silicone, heat resistant to 600°F.
What’s great about the kitchen is that it has endless potential for design and function. With so many products on the market, it’s hard to decide which gadgets are essential and which are too specific for your needs. Ultimately what determines whether an appliance or kitchen gadget is a “must have” is how much use you get out of it. The comprehensive list above outlines some of the most versatile and functional equipment you could need either in or out of the kitchen.